Monday, February 7, 2011

Mary G. Long


Ronald V. Long, Jr.
Mary G. Long

Mrs. Mary G. Long is the mother of Ronald V. Long Jr., a violin student at EMF from 2007 to 2009. Ron has performed at several special events in Greensboro, including performing at Shelly Morgenstern’s memorial service in Dana Auditorium. Mrs. Long is a stay-at-home mom and resides in Greensboro, NC.

I felt honored when my son’s violin teacher recommended that he apply for EMF (2007). I heard about the wonderful things this festival has done for children from all over the world for years but did not expect my son to be a part of a spectacular music festival. When my son auditioned, he asked me “Why am I so nervous?” and I responded and said, “You are nervous because you care about what you are doing; don’t be nervous.” To be honest, I was as nervous as he was, but of course I did not allow it to show. I further explained to him that “you have worked so hard for this opportunity, and whatever you do, don’t let your nerves distract your love for your instrument.”

When my son received his acceptance letter, I really could not believe it, but my son ran through the house like it was reality. He immediately darted to the computer and searched up all of the guest performers and faculty, and he continued to run through the house yelling how excited he was to learn from immense professionals. He was happier than a kid receiving his first Christmas present. My husband and I were amazed that he was accepted by the festival and realized that he may have some talent. I soon after thought about how he would keep up his laundry for 5 weeks in a joking way. Of course being a mother, I was happy and worried, “happy” that he was taking the right steps to increasing his violin talent but “worried” about it being his first time away from home. When arriving at his dorm, we were warmly greeted with open arms. My son felt at home, and so did I.

What really put the icing on the cake is when my husband and I attended his first symphony concert, not knowing what to expect. Taking my seat and seeing my son on the stage improved my realization of this whole experience. The performance of Mahler’s Symphony No. 1 was a cathartic experience. At that moment, my husband and I realized that our son was living his life the way he wanted and was serious about it -- more serious than he has ever been about anything. Eastern Music Festival was certainly the key to his love for music. It not only changed my life, but it changed my son’s life in an elevated way.

No comments:

Post a Comment